Re: Postgres and LibreOffice's 'Base'

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Postgres and LibreOffice's 'Base'
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 12/04/2016 07:41 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    I have postgres tables (with data) for a specific application but have
> not found the time to learn django to make it an application that my
> clients
> can use. It occurs to me that the most parsimonious approach is to use
> LibreOffice's Base for the UI with postgres as the dbms-engine. While I
> work
> in only linux (and unixODBC is installed), my clients all use various
> flavors of Windows, but the three critical software applications (LO,
> PostgreSQL, and ODBC) are available for Microsoft, too.
>
>    I've scanned the Base portion of the LO User Guide and it looks to be a
> practical solution to quickly providing clients with working database
> applications.
>
>    As this is completely new territory for me I'd like is to learn from
> those who've done this before. As examples, What can/should I do as stored
> procedures using PL/pgSQL? Can queries be created and tested using psql
> before being imported into Base?

Base is basically a GUI over the database. You can still do whatever you
want in Postgres via psql or any other client for that matter. That
being said my experience with Base is that is not up to the task. It
worked for me early on, but development on Base lagged relative to the
other modules in LO. My recent attempts have been less successful. Exact
examples on why, will have to wait on me dredging up the memories.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com