Re: Optimizer items in the release notes

От Adrien NAYRAT
Тема Re: Optimizer items in the release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4/22/19 6:54 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> We had a discussion in October about adding more optimizer items to the
> release notes:
>
>     https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20181010220601.GA7807%40momjian.us#11d805ea0b0fcd0552dfa99251417cc1
>
> There was no agreement on a change, but if people want to propose a
> change, please post here and we can discuss it.

Hello,

Thanks Bruce to start this thread.

I still think it is useful to mention changes in the optimizer for
several reasons:

- help to understand why a plan can change between different majors
versions. I don't have any example but an improvement for some users
could be a regression for others.
- knowing optimizer improvements can motivate users to upgrade to newer
versions
- help to find bug between majors versions

Regards,