Some silly questions

От Michiel Lange
Тема Some silly questions
Дата
Re: Some silly questions  (Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info>)
Список pgsql-admin
I was just wondering about a few options that I would think might be pretty
useful. They might exist, but then, I don't know how to get it done...

Here's my list:
- multi-volume database. Is it possible to split the complete database so it
will use several disks? One reason might be load-balancing of the disks,
another might be a very full disk... there may be even more...
- If multi-voluming exists, is it possible to make certain specific tables
can get in a special 'area', so you'd know on which disk it would be?
- Every database system has a ROLLBACK function, also known as
'before-imaging'. Postgres no doubt has this technique as well? How (which
file(s)) is this done in Postges, and how can you manage the size of these
before images?
- In a situation of a crash, a rollback is a MUST. A rollforward is
desirable... does postgres offer this functionality as well? (I guess it
does) and the same question as the before-image arises as with this
so-called after-imaging.

that's it for now... I'm just pretty curious I think...

Oh... and does anyone know something about the relation Postgres and
Progress? the names seem so similar...

and... do my questions sound stupid? ;-)

Michiel Lange