Blank, nullable date column rejected by psql

От Rich Shepard
Тема Blank, nullable date column rejected by psql
Дата
Re: Blank, nullable date column rejected by psql  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
Re: Blank, nullable date column rejected by psql  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Blank, nullable date column rejected by psql  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
Re: Blank, nullable date column rejected by psql  (Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>)
Список pgsql-general
Running postgresql-10.5 on Slackware-14.2.

A table has a column defined as

Column       | Type  | Collation | Nullable | Default
next_contact | date  |           |          |

In a .sql file to insert rows in this table psql has a problem when there's
no value for the next_contact column:

$ psql -f activities.sql -d bustrac
psql:activities.sql:6: ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type date: ""
LINE 2: ...ise. Asked him to call.',''),

Explicitly replacing the blank field ('') with null is accepted. Why is
this?

Now I know to replace no dates with null I'll do so but I'm curious why this
is needed.

Thanks in advance,

Rich