Re: Blank, nullable date column rejected by psql

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Blank, nullable date column rejected by psql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2/11/19 2:44 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> Running postgresql-10.5 on Slackware-14.2.
>
> A table has a column defined as
>
> Column       | Type  | Collation | Nullable | Default
> next_contact | date  |           |          |
>
> In a .sql file to insert rows in this table psql has a problem when there's
> no value for the next_contact column:
>
> $ psql -f activities.sql -d bustrac psql:activities.sql:6: ERROR:
> invalid input syntax for type date: ""
> LINE 2: ...ise. Asked him to call.',''),
>
> Explicitly replacing the blank field ('') with null is accepted. Why is
> this?
>
> Now I know to replace no dates with null I'll do so but I'm curious why
> this
> is needed.

Because:

invalid input syntax for type date: ""

means you are trying to enter an empty string("") and that:

a) Is not NULL
b) Is not a valid date string.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: Ron
Сообщение: Re: Blank, nullable date column rejected by psql
Сообщение: Re: Blank, nullable date column rejected by psql