Re: Employee modeling question

От Rich Shepard
Тема Re: Employee modeling question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 5 Sep 2014, John McKown wrote:

> They are excellent. They are _not_ for beginners. The "For Smarties"
> portion is not just a play against the "For Dummies" series. Joe does some
> high powered SQL.

   I read Joe Celko's columns in Database Advisor and a couple of other
magazines in the '80s, and have read most of his books.

   For the purpose of developing an employee schema with departments for
some, his "SQL For Smarties" provides very sound advice on how to proceed.
Having separate company, department, and employee tables is a given. But,
you might need many-to-many tables to keep track of the complex
relationships. This is all covered in the chapters on DDL (Data Definition
Language) and is separate from the chapters on DML (Data Manipulation
Language).

Good luck,

Rich