Re: nooby Q: temp tables good for web apps?

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: nooby Q: temp tables good for web apps?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, John Cheng wrote:

> One concern I have with SSD drives is that the performance degrades over
> time.

The bigger concern I have with them is that even the Intel drives have a
volatile write cache in them.  You have either turn off the write cache
(which degrades performance substantially and might even have a longevity
impact) or use a battery-backed disk controller for them to be safe
database storage.  There's a good article about this at
http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2009/03/02/ssd-xfs-lvm-fsync-write-cache-barrier-and-lost-transactions/

If there's a disk controller with a write cache involved, that narrows the
gap between SDD and regular drives quite a bit.