Re: TAP testing for psql's tab completion code

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: TAP testing for psql's tab completion code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Tom,

>> I do not think it is a good idea, because help output is quite large,
>> there are many of them, and we should certainly not want it stored
>> repeatedly in output files for diffs.
>
> Hm, I don't follow --- we are most certainly not going to exercise
> \help for every possible SQL keyword, that'd just be silly.

I am silly.

Price is pretty low, it helps with coverage in "sql_help.c, it checks that
the help files returns adequate results so that adding new help contents
does not hide existing stuff. I do not see why we should not do it, in TAP
tests.

The alternative is that the project tolerates substandard test coverage.
The "psql" command is currently around 40-44%.

> Having said that, the fact that \help now includes a version-dependent
> URL in its output is probably enough to break the idea of testing it
> with a conventional expected-output test, so maybe TAP is the only
> way for that.

The URL is a good thing, though.

--
Fabien.