Re: gaussian distribution pgbench

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: gaussian distribution pgbench
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>>    \setrandom foo 1 10 [uniform]
>>    \setrandom foo 1 :size gaussian 3.6
>>    \setrandom foo 1 100 exponential 7.2
> It's good design. I think it will become more low overhead at part of parsing
> in pgbench, because comparison of strings will be redeced(maybe). And I'd
> like to remove [uniform], beacause we have to have compatibility for old
> scripts, and random function always gets uniform distribution in common sense
> of programming.

I just put "uniform" as an optional default, hence the brackets.

Otherwise, what I would have in mind if this would be designed from
scratch:
  \set foo 124  \set foo "string value" (?)  \set foo :variable  \set foo 12 + :shift

And then
  \set foo uniform 1 10  \set foo gaussian 1 10 4.2  \set foo exponential 1 100 5.2

or maybe functions could be repended with something like "&uniform".
But that would be for another life:-)

> However, new grammer is little bit long in user script. It seems trade-off
> that are visibility of scripts and user writing cost.

Yep.

--
Fabien.