Re: GiST index performance

От: Matthew Wakeling
Тема: Re: GiST index performance
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
 Re: GiST index performance  (Robert Haas, )
  Re: GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
   Re: GiST index performance  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
     Re: GiST index performance  (Tom Lane, )
      Re: GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
       Re: GiST index performance  (Tom Lane, )
        Re: GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
         Re: GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
          Re: GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
           Re: GiST index performance  (Tom Lane, )
           Re: GiST index performance  (Adam Gundy, )
        Re: GiST index performance  (Heikki Linnakangas, )
      Re: GiST index performance  (Greg Smith, )
       Re: GiST index performance  (Robert Haas, )
 Re: GiST index performance  (Bruce Momjian, )
  Re: GiST index performance  (Robert Haas, )
  Re: GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
   Re: GiST index performance  (Robert Haas, )
   Re: GiST index performance  (Yeb Havinga, )
    Re: GiST index performance  (Yeb Havinga, )
     Re: GiST index performance  (Yeb Havinga, )
      Re: GiST index performance  (Yeb Havinga, )
       Re: GiST index performance  (Yeb Havinga, )
        Re: GiST index performance  (Kenneth Marshall, )

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Was there every any conclusion on this issue?

Not really. Comments inline:

> Matthew Wakeling wrote:
>> Revisiting the thread a month back or so, I'm still investigating
>> performance problems with GiST indexes in Postgres.
>>
>> Looking at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items I'd
>> like to clarify the contrib/seg issue. Contrib/seg is vulnerable to
>> pathological behaviour which is fixed by my second patch, which can be
>> viewed as complete. Contrib/cube, being multi-dimensional, is not affected
>> to any significant degree, so should not need alteration.

This issue is addressed by my patch, which AFAIK noone has reviewed.
However, that patch was derived from a patch that I applied to bioseg,
which is itself a derivative of seg. This patch works very well indeed,
and gave an approximate 100 times speed improvement in the one test I ran.

So you could say that the sister patch of the one I submitted is tried and
tested in production.

>> A second quite distinct issue is the general performance of GiST indexes
>> which is also mentioned in the old thread linked from Open Items. For
>> that, we have a test case at
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2009-04/msg00276.php for
>> btree_gist indexes. I have a similar example with the bioseg GiST index. I
>> have completely reimplemented the same algorithms in Java for algorithm
>> investigation and instrumentation purposes, and it runs about a hundred
>> times faster than in Postgres. I think this is a problem, and I'm willing
>> to do some investigation to try and solve it.

I have not made any progress on this issue. I think Oleg and Teodor would
be better placed working it out. All I can say is that I implemented the
exact same indexing algorithm in Java, and it performed 100 times faster
than Postgres. Now, Postgres has to do a lot of additional work, like
mapping the index onto disc, locking pages, and abstracting to plugin user
functions, so I would expect some difference - I'm not sure 100 times is
reasonable though. I tried to do some profiling, but couldn't see any one
section of code that was taking too much time. Not sure what I can further
do.

Matthew

--
 Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular
 expressions." Now they have two problems.                  -- Jamie Zawinski