Re: Postgre Eating Up Too Much RAM

От Christian Kratzer
Тема Re: Postgre Eating Up Too Much RAM
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012, Aaron Bono wrote:

> I have been struggling with an issue on our database server lately with
> Postgres crashing our server by taking up too much RAM.  To alleviate this
> problem, I just upgraded from a 6 GB RAM server to a new 32 GB RAM server.
> The new server is running Ubuntu 10 with nothing but PostgreSQL 8.4.14
> installed.
>
> Today, after being in use for only 24 hours, it hung the server again.
> Now, when I run a check on memory usage, I get a quickly growing amount of
> RAM being used:
>
> free -mt
>
>             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
> Mem:         30503      20626       9876          0        143      15897
> -/+ buffers/cache:       4586      25917
> Swap:         1913          0       1913
> Total:       32417      20626      11790

just in case nobody has noticed yet:

Above free output is linux telling you that use processes are using 4586 KB of ram wheres 25917 KB is free.

PostgreSQL is not hogging up you RAM.  Linux is using unused ram for buffers and cache.

This is an ancient linux FAQ.  Whatever amount of ram you put into a linux box free will show it used shortly after.
Checkthe -/+ buffers line for the values you are looking for.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                      CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck@cksoft.de                  Wildberger Weg 24/2