Re: Migrating databases...

От Lee Harr
Тема Re: Migrating databases...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> So I got the source for 7.0.3 and installed it in 8.2 at the /usr/local level.
> All the files are where they are supposed to be, and I'm ready to get the thing
> running so I can dump the database (copied over to $HOME in 8.2 from the 8.0
> installation).
>
> I read that I can have both versions running in parallel, and that there is a
> simple command line that will make the database conversion.  Unfortunately,
> I don't know how to start the 7.0.3 without invoking the 7.2.1.  I'm willing
> to start over if necessary ('gmake uninstall && gmake clean && ./configure &&
> gmake && gmake install', or so I would imagine).

Note: I have never tried this, but if I needed to I think I would
       do something along these lines:

check out man postmaster and man pg_dump, then
I think I would try something like this:

/usr/local/pgsql7.0.3/bin/postmaster -i -p 5433 -D /usr/local/pgsql7.0.3/data &

/usr/local/pgsql7.0.3/bin/pg_dump -h localhost -p 5433 dbToDumpName > dumpFile

Notice that you should probably specify these path names absolutely
so that you can be sure you are getting the right ones.

I was doing it this way because I could not see from pg_dump's man page
how to get it to connect via socket to a different postmaster
(the -D switch seems to do something completely different there)