Re: pl/pgsql outside the DB, (i.e. on the terminal) possible ?

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: pl/pgsql outside the DB, (i.e. on the terminal) possible ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 3/7/24 12:20, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> Στις 7/3/24 21:29, ο/η Adrian Klaver έγραψε:
>> On 3/7/24 10:13, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
>>> Στις 7/3/24 18:44, ο/η Robert Treat έγραψε:
>>

>>> I am not talking for fun. I am talking about the future programmers
>>> of this world. Teaching Python or C to them upon arrival to the
>>> classes seems so wrong in every aspect.
>>
>> Seems to me you need to tackle this from the other end, that is what
>> are you looking for in a first language?
>
> Something like good ol Pascal, just a little more market-correct to make
> it viable. Something that puts sanity and simplicity above impression or
> anything else. C or Python as first languages (like seems the norm among
> UNIs) is suicidal. I am strongly against it. Kids just dont learn the
> essentials. And the path goes like , simple -> lower lever (C/Assembly)
> , but also higher level (C++/Java/Python/etc). Destroying their minds by
> starting with Python or C just minimizes the chances for future great C
> programmers or Java/Python programmers.

Would that not be covered by a theory of programing course series?

I will admit up front this is getting out of my depth, but from my
experiences with programming languages they, at a high level, all do the
same thing basically. Transform text into low level operations on a
machine. Therefore course work on what those low level operations are
and the way to abstract above the machine code level would seem to me
the way to go. Then a series of classes that move languages from lower
to higher level.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com