Re: repmgr 3.x releases in Postgres PPA for Ubuntu Trusty

От Jonathan Heard
Тема Re: repmgr 3.x releases in Postgres PPA for Ubuntu Trusty
Дата
Список pgsql-pkg-debian
Hi Marco,

Fantastic! Thank you for such a quick response. It's great news that the
package still exists.

It's a pity that this is moved to a whole new repo though as I'll need
to either mirror the whole repo into our secure (i.e. not internet
connected) environments or extract the dependency tree to our general
purpose internal repo. I'll have to deal with this, however...

I strongly feel that it's a really bad practice for the major version of
repmgr to have been silently upgraded against a existing minor release
of Postgres. In our case we're using 9.5 and have not upgraded -
generally breaking changes should only occur in major release updates
therefore Postgres 9.5 (and really, all 9.x releases) should be bound to
repmgr 3.x by default.

Notwithstanding I'm very grateful for the time any effort that you and
the community put into creating and maintaining these packages.

Many Thanks, and best regards

Jonathan

On 04/12/17 10:38, Marco Nenciarini wrote:
> Il 04/12/17 11:19, Jonathan Heard ha scritto:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>>    We use Puppet in our environments to be able to quickly roll out
>> identical Postgres clusters with repmgr - we've not built one for a
>> while but had a business need to do so on Friday and the build failed.
>> The root cause of this is because the Postgres PPA has completely
>> removed repmgr 3.3.2  for Ubuntu 'Trusty' (14.04) and replaced it with
>> repmgr 4.x which is a major release update with breaking changes to both
>> its configuration files and its schema requirements.
>>
>> Is it intentional that the older version has been completely removed?
>> Version 2.x is still present so it seems to me like it's an oversight
>> that a 3.x package isn't there.
>>
>> This is unfortunately a major headache for me because I cannot simply
>> upgrade to version 4.0 without updating our Puppet automation and
>> significant testing. For a consistent environment I'd also need to
>> upgrade all live databases in order to build just one new one :-(
>>
>> I can't even find an old copy for the 3.3.2 package at the moment so I'm
>> faced with the prospect of building it from source which could easily
>> result in a slightly different binary unless I can replicate build
>> environment and configure options used for the original package.
>>
>> Is anyone able to resurrect the 3.x release in the Postgres PPA please?
>> I suspect I'm not the only person who's going to be bitten by this :-/
>>
>> Any help would be very much appreciated
>>
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> you can find the old repmgr packages in http://atalia.postgresql.org/morgue/
>
> For convenience 2ndQuadrant has created a repository using the rempgr
> 3.3.2 packages from the morgue.
>
> Beware that these packages will not be updated, and are there only to
> facilitate the migration to repmgr4.
>
> Instructions follows:
>
> apt-key adv --fetch-keys
> http://packages.2ndquadrant.com/repmgr3/apt/0xD3FA41F6.asc
>
> echo deb http://packages.2ndquadrant.com/repmgr3/apt/ $(lsb_release
> -cs)-2ndquadrant main > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/repmgr3.list
>
> Regards,
> Marco

Сообщение: Re: repmgr 3.x releases in Postgres PPA for Ubuntu Trusty
Сообщение: Re: repmgr 3.x releases in Postgres PPA for Ubuntu Trusty