Re: Should clients abort in case of server version mismatch ? [ subject modf: as they already warn ]

От Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Тема Re: Should clients abort in case of server version mismatch ? [ subject modf: as they already warn ]
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> "Rajesh Kumar Mallah" <mallah.rajesh@gmail.com> writes:
> > IMHO for major version mismatch psql should not present the
> > user with a prompt at all as certain commands are most likely
> > not work.
>
> The analogy you're drawing with pg_dump is faulty.  There are at least
> three good reasons for psql to be more forgiving of version mismatches
> than pg_dump is:

Overall there was no damage at all.

> 1. pg_dump is commonly run noninteractively (eg, from a cron job) where
> any mere warning will likely go unnoticed.  So it has to raise a hard
> error to get the DBA's attention.  psql's backslash commands are far
> less likely to be used noninteractively, and a failure is usually pretty
> obvious to a human user.

yep if the scope of problem is limited to \d commands *only* its a nonissue
(i was not knowing it). in most automations i think psql  would only be acting
as a conduit for SQL commands. hence the concerns  were not well founded.

Warm Regds
Mallah.