Re: Online enabling of checksums

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Online enabling of checksums
Дата
Re: Online enabling of checksums  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 02/28/2018 08:42 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I noticed that pg_verify_checksum takes an "-o oid" argument to only
> check the relation with that OID; but that's wrong, because the number
> is a relfilenode, not an OID (since it's compared to the on-disk file
> name).  I would suggest changing everything to clarify that it's a
> pg_class.relfilenode value, otherwise it's going to be very confusing.
> Maybe use "-f filenode" if -f is available?

I'd argue this is merely a mistake in the --help text. Firstly,
relfilenodes are OIDs too, so I don't think "-o" is incorrect. Secondly,
the SGML docs actually say:

  <varlistentry>
   <term><option>-o <replaceable>relfilenode</replaceable></option></term>
   <listitem>
    <para>
     Only validate checksums in the relation with specified relfilenode.
    </para>
   </listitem>
  </varlistentry>

regards