Re: links to 12 release notes broken after branching

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: links to 12 release notes broken after branching
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 9/17/19 1:04 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yes, but before the release being done we can't hand that out?

You can always hand them out knowing that it is subject to change.
Personally I view devel as "anything can change at a given moment".

I'll own up to my own mistake for linking to devel from someone of the
emails/press releases around the PG12 lifecycle where I did not
appropriately change the templates. I'll be sure not to do that for PG13.

> So I
>> don't think that's sufficient.  Can't we have a rule that redirects to
>> devel/release-NN.html to /NN/release-NN.html upon a 404?
>
> That seems like it'd cause everlasting confusion about which
> branch links were really meant to point at.

I did a quick look at the pgweb code to see what it would take. Coupled
with the other changes we made to how we handle release notes, it's not
so much a "redirect" as it is a "messy logic check that leads to a redirect.

If need be I can make a quantifiable analysis of how many users this is
actually impacting to see if it's worth introducing aforementioned
logic, but preferably some time after PG12 is out the door.

> I'd rather see us instantiate a new release branch under
> www.postgresql.org/docs/ as soon as there's a good reason to
> point to it, like around beta1, or maybe when we fork the
> branch in git.

beta1  is when "/docs/NN/" goes live anyway, so +1 by default from me :)

Jonathan

Вложения

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления: