Re: problems with encoding and accent letters

От aaaawwww
Тема Re: problems with encoding and accent letters
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jul 2, 12:39 am, pie...@hogranch.com (John R Pierce) wrote:
> On 07/01/10 2:27 PM, aaaawwww wrote:
>
> > Sorry I forgot to say I am running an Italian php website with a
> > postgresql DB. Users can write messages eachothers.
> > This is my code:
> > $connessione_db = pg_connect("dbname=xxxxx user=yyyyy
> > password=zzzzzz");
> > $sql_insert_messaggio="insert into messaggio (text) values ('àèì');";
> > pg_exec ($connessione_db,$sql_insert_messaggio);
>
> > and I get that error. If I do not write messages with accents
> > everything works.
>
> > Is there a way to insert accents with any kind of encoding?
>
> is your source code UTF-8 or is it ISO-8559-3 aka LATIN3 or something ?
>
> you probably need to set your client_encoding according to the charset
> used in the source SQL statements.
>
>      SET CLIENT_ENCODING='LATIN3';
>
> when you do the inserts, the data will be converted from your
> CLIENT_ENCODING to the proper database eencoding which is likely UTF8
> per your error... and when you read it back, it will be converted back
> to the current CLIENT_ENCODING
>
> since this is a web app, do be sure your CLIENT_ENCODING matches the
> mime type of your generated web pages...
>
> --

thank you. I did not change anything on my php scripts. I had <meta
http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> on
my web pages, so I converted it in <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"> and then everything worked!
Thank you again.