Re: Does psql -f quit insertion after an error in a statement has been detected?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Does psql -f quit insertion after an error in a statement has been detected?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Wang, Mary Y wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a psql -f command to reload the data from a dump file.  I
> noticed that some tables are not populated with any rows (I mean 0
> rows), yet, if I manually insert a row (actually just copy an INSERT
> statement from that input file) in the interactive terminal, that row
> was added with no problem.  So my question "does psql -f quits inserting
> rows for a table when it detects there is an error in a statement?".
> The impression that I got is that even though other rows might not have
> any errors, but psql -f seems just quits after it detects an error in
> a row.

Unless you set ON_ERROR_STOP in psql, psql will continue reading the
file and executing commands:

        <listitem>
        <para>
        By default, if non-interactive scripts encounter an error, such
        as a malformed <acronym>SQL</acronym> command or internal
        meta-command, processing continues. This has been the
        traditional behavior of <application>psql</application> but it
        is sometimes not desirable. If this variable is set, script
        processing will immediately terminate. If the script was called
        from another script it will terminate in the same fashion. If
        the outermost script was not called from an interactive
        <application>psql</application> session but rather using the
        <option>-f</option> option, <application>psql</application> will
        return error code 3, to distinguish this case from fatal error
        conditions (error code 1).