Re: Real application clustering in postgres.

От Ron
Тема Re: Real application clustering in postgres.
Дата
Re: Real application clustering in postgres.
Список pgsql-general
On 3/5/20 6:07 AM, Laurenz Albe wrote:
On Thu, 2020-03-05 at 07:45 +0000, Daulat Ram wrote:
Is there any possibility/options to setup a real application clustering in Postgres as in Oracle we have a  RAC feature.
No, and as far as I know nobody feels interested in providing it.

RAC is a complicated architecture that doesn't do much good, so most
people feel that it would be a waste of time and effort.

RAC ist not really a scaling solution: because of the shared storage,
you can only scale for more CPUs; I/O remains the bottleneck.
RAC is not really a high availability solution: because of the shared
storage, it has a sibgle point of failure.

This is utter nonsense.  Dual redundant storage controllers connected to disks in RAID-10 configurations have been around for at least 25 years.

Oracle got it's clustering technology from DEC, and I know that works.  Cluster members, storage controllers and disks have all gone down, while the database and application keep on humming along.