Re: Partitioning wiki page

От Nikhil Sontakke
Тема Re: Partitioning wiki page
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,
At the moment, all you've done is show examples of how Oracle does
partitioning and restate my requirements document, significant chunks
completely verbatim. If you do that I think it fair to ask for a
specific credit on that. But even so, thank you for the compliment.

It was not my intention to steal your work but to put together
everything that was produced so far. I tried to put in the links
section, references to all documents I have consulted so far. I thought
this was a collective work and therefore did not ask for specific credit
for everyone that participated on the mailing list. As you can also
notice, I did not claim any credit nor put my name on the wiki page. I
am just trying to help the community.
If you think that every contribution should acknowledge its original
author, I can add a bibliography and put references but this will make
the page harder to maintain.

Simon, if you look at the other current discussions on partitioning, Emmanuel has mentioned your document a number of times (crediting you directly via that). He had even specificly asked if it was ok to use your document and export it to the wiki. I think its great that he has started up this wiki page and taken on the responsibility to maintain and move this forward.

Regarding the current syntax, it is not just a copy paste of  Oracle but
a merge between Oracle and MySQL. I have not looked yet at other
products being new to the datawarehouse world. As I mentioned there is
still a lot of work to do and I will try to integrate feedback as we go.

Yes we have to have some syntax and even to me the Oracle, Mysql (which I think is completely inspired from the Oracle syntax) seemed a good starting point. Even the grammar presented here in this thread was similar:

http://www.nabble.com/Declarative-partitioning-grammar-td14767382.html

Also, I have been thinking that we might collect all different proposals on the wiki but what is the next step? Maybe when people meet up at PGCon or other developers meets, they should have a specific agenda to take stock of the current discussions and decide on one approach to move ahead.

Regards,
Nikhils
--
http://www.enterprisedb.com