Re: AI for query-planning?

От Christoph Moench-Tegeder
Тема Re: AI for query-planning?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
## Andreas Joseph Krogh (andreas@visena.com):

> Hi, are there any plans for using some kind of AI for query-planning?

Actually, we do have our GEQO - Genetic Query Optimization - already
in the planner: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/geqo.html
As per the common taxomonies, genetic algorithms are part of the
larger "Artificial Intelligence" domain - they're just not part of
the current hype cycle (some of us still remember the early iterations
of neuronal networks, or fuzzy logic, or...).

> Can someone with more knowledge about this than I have please explain why it
> might, or not, be a good idea, and what the challenges are?

Just waving your hand and saying "AI" three times in a row does not
manifest an usable algorithm. Going the full way from a problem to be
understood and solved to algorithm to implementation requires more
effort - and especially with all the "hot off the hype press" ideas
that already fails in the very first stages. Remember just recently,
when some people were "predicting" that all databases would become
blockchains?

Regards,
Christoph

--