Re: Proposal for Updating CRC32C with AVX-512 Algorithm.

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Proposal for Updating CRC32C with AVX-512 Algorithm.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 02:08:02PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Amonson, Paul D" <paul.d.amonson@intel.com> writes:
> > I had our OSS internal team, who are experts in OSS licensing, review possible conflicts between the PostgreSQL
licenseand the BSD-Clause 3-like license for the CRC32C AVX-512 code, and they found no issues. Therefore, including
thenew license into the PostgreSQL codebase should be acceptable.

> Maybe you should get some actual lawyers to answer this type of
> question.  The Chromium license this code cites is 3-clause-BSD
> style, which is NOT compatible: the "advertising" clause is
> significant.
>
> In any case, writing copyright notices that are pointers to
> external web pages is not how it's done around here.  We generally
> operate on the assumption that the Postgres source code will
> outlive any specific web site.  Dead links to incidental material
> might be okay, but legally relevant stuff not so much.

Agreed.  The licenses are compatible in the sense that they can be
combined to create a unified work, but they cannot be combined without
modifying the license of the combined work.  You would need to combine
the Postgres and Chrome license for this, and I highly doubt we are
going to be modifying the Postgres for this.