Re: Stability of queryid in minor versions

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Stability of queryid in minor versions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 01:31:47PM +1200, David Rowley wrote:
> I think a soft guarantee in the docs for it being stable in minor
> versions would be ok then.
>
> I'm unsure if "Rule of thumb" is the correct way to convey that. We
> can't really write "We endeavour to", as who is "We".  Maybe something
> like "Generally, it can be assumed that queryid is stable between all
> minor versions of a major version of ..., providing that <other
> reasons>".

It sounds to me that the term "best-effort" is adapted here?  Like in
"The compatibility of query IDs is preserved across minor versions on
a best-effort basis.  It is possible that the post-parse-analysis tree
changes across minor releases, impacting the value of queryid for the
same query run across two different minor versions.".
--
Michael

Вложения