Re: Reports on obsolete Postgres versions

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Reports on obsolete Postgres versions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr  4, 2024 at 12:27:32PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> How about this:
> """
> Major versions make complex changes, so the contents of the data directory
> cannot be maintained in a backward compatible way.  A dump and restore of the
> databases is required, either done manually or as part of running the <a href="
> /docs/current/pgupgrade.html">pg_upgrade</a> server application.
> """
>
> My main change here is to mirror "dump and restore" in both paragraphs and make
> it clear that this action is required and that the unnamed pg_dump/pg_restore
> tools or pg_upgrade are used in order to perform this task.  Since minor
> version upgrades do not require "dump and restore" they need not use these
> tools.

pg_upgrade only dumps/restores the database schema, which is not
something most people would consider dump/restore;  see:

    https://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/pg_upgrade.pdf

> Also, calling pg_upgrade a module doesn't seem correct.  It is found under
> server applications in our docs and consists solely of that program (and a
> bunch of manual steps) from the user's perspective.

Yes, you are correct.  It used to be under "modules" and we didn't
update this text, partly because this it not in our source git tree;
updated patch attached.

Вложения