Re: Add the ability to limit the amount of memory that can be allocated to backends.

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Add the ability to limit the amount of memory that can be allocated to backends.
Дата
Re: Add the ability to limit the amount of memory that can be allocated to backends.  (Andrei Lepikhov <a.lepikhov@postgrespro.ru>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Andrei Lepikhov (a.lepikhov@postgrespro.ru) wrote:
> On 19/10/2023 02:00, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Andrei Lepikhov (a.lepikhov@postgrespro.ru) wrote:

> > > By the patch in attachment I try to show which sort of problems I'm worrying
> > > about. In some PП_CATCH() sections we do CopyErrorData (allocate some
> > > memory) before aborting the transaction. So, the allocation error can move
> > > us out of this section before aborting. We await for soft ERROR message but
> > > will face more hard consequences.
> >
> > While it's an interesting idea to consider making exceptions to the
> > limit, and perhaps we'll do that (or have some kind of 'reserve' for
> > such cases), this isn't really any different than today, is it?  We
> > might have a malloc() failure in the main path, end up in PG_CATCH() and
> > then try to do a CopyErrorData() and have another malloc() failure.
> >
> > If we can rearrange the code to make this less likely to happen, by
> > doing a bit more work to free() resources used in the main path before
> > trying to do new allocations, then, sure, let's go ahead and do that,
> > but that's independent from this effort.
>
> I agree that rearranging efforts can be made independently. The code in the
> letter above was shown just as a demo of the case I'm worried about.
> IMO, the thing that should be implemented here is a recursion level for the
> memory limit. If processing the error, we fall into recursion with this
> limit - we should ignore it.
> I imagine custom extensions that use PG_CATCH() and allocate some data
> there. At least we can raise the level of error to FATAL.

Ignoring such would defeat much of the point of this effort- which is to
get to a position where we can say with some confidence that we're not
going to go over some limit that the user has set and therefore not
allow ourselves to end up getting OOM killed.  These are all the same
issues that already exist today on systems which don't allow overcommit
too, there isn't anything new here in regards to these risks, so I'm not
really keen to complicate this to deal with issues that are already
there.

Perhaps once we've got the basics in place then we could consider
reserving some space for handling such cases..  but I don't think it'll
actually be very clean and what if we have an allocation that goes
beyond what that reserved space is anyway?  Then we're in the same spot
again where we have the choice of either failing the allocation in a
less elegant way than we might like to handle that error, or risk
getting outright kill'd by the kernel.  Of those choices, sure seems
like failing the allocation is the better way to go.

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения