Re: Add the ability to limit the amount of memory that can be allocated to backends.

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Add the ability to limit the amount of memory that can be allocated to backends.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-10-19 18:06:10 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Ignoring such would defeat much of the point of this effort- which is to
> get to a position where we can say with some confidence that we're not
> going to go over some limit that the user has set and therefore not
> allow ourselves to end up getting OOM killed.

I think that is a good medium to long term goal. I do however think that we'd
be better off merging the visibility of memory allocations soon-ish and
implement the limiting later. There's a lot of hairy details to get right for
the latter, and even just having visibility will be a huge improvement.

I think even patch 1 is doing too much at once. I doubt the DSM stuff is
quite right.

I'm unconvinced it's a good idea to split the different types of memory
contexts out. That just exposes too much implementation detail stuff without a
good reason.

I think the overhead even just the tracking implies right now is likely too
high and needs to be optimized. It should be a single math operation, not
tracking things in multiple fields. I don't think pg_sub_u64_overflow() should
be in the path either, that suddenly adds conditional branches.  You really
ought to look at the difference in assembly for the hot functions.

Greetings,

Andres Freund