Replica vs standby

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Replica vs standby
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
I started digging into this and came up with a can of worms.  I have
therefore updated the email subject.

Our glossary has:

    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/glossary.html

-->    Standby (server)

        See Replica (server).

-->    Replica (server)

        A database that is paired with a primary database and is maintaining
    a copy of some or all of the primary database's data. The foremost
    reasons for doing this are to allow for greater access to that data, and
    to maintain availability of the data in the event that the primary
    becomes unavailable.

So, both physical and logical replication can create standbys/replicas:

    A logical replication subscription can be a standby for
    synchronous replication (see Section 27.2.8).

So, when we are talking about max_wal_senders, is it clear we are
talking a about physical replicas, logical replicas, and logical
subscribers that might not be using their data in a standby/replica
role?  They might be using it in a replica role but not a standby role,
and if that is true, standby and replica are not synonyms, and maybe we
need to use replica in more places, or somehow clarify this.

There are other cases in our docs where we call something a standby and
mean only a physical standby/replica.  Should these be clarified?