Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jul 23, 2023 at 08:19:55PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 04, 2023 at 05:32:07PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul  4, 2023 at 03:31:05PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> >> On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 04:49:47PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> Sawada-san has mentioned on twitter that fdd8937 is not mentioned in
> >> the release notes, and it seems to me that he is right.  This is
> >> described as a bug in the commit log, but it did not get backpatched
> >> because of the lack of complaints.  Also, because we've removed
> >> support for anything older than Windows 10 in PG16, this change very
> >> easy to do.
> >
> > I did review this and wasn't sure exactly what I would describe.  It is
> > saying huge pages will now work on some versions of Windows 10 but
> > didn't before?
>
> Windows 10 has always used a forced automated rolling upgrade process,
> so there are not many versions older than 1703, I suppose.  I don't
> know if large pages were working before 1703 where
> FILE_MAP_LARGE_PAGES has been introduced, and I have never been able
> to test that.  Honestly, I don't think that we need to be picky about
> the version mentioned, as per the forced upgrade process done by
> Microsoft.
>
> So, my preference would be to keep it simple and add an item like "Fix
> huge pages on Windows 10 and newer versions", with as potential
> subnote "The backend sets a flag named FILE_MAP_LARGE_PAGES to allow
> huge pages", though this is not really mandatory to go down to this
> level of internals, either.

That is very helpful.  I added this to the release notes Server
Configuration section:

    <!--
    Author: Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>
    2022-09-17 [fdd8937c0] Fix huge_pages on Windows
    -->

    <listitem>
    <para>
    Allow huge pages to work on newer versions of Windows 10 (Thomas Munro)
    </para>

    <para>
    This adds the special handling required to enable huge pages on newer
    versions of Windows 10.
    </para>
    </listitem>