Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 04, 2023 at 05:32:07PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Jul  4, 2023 at 03:31:05PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 04:49:47PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Sawada-san has mentioned on twitter that fdd8937 is not mentioned in
>> the release notes, and it seems to me that he is right.  This is
>> described as a bug in the commit log, but it did not get backpatched
>> because of the lack of complaints.  Also, because we've removed
>> support for anything older than Windows 10 in PG16, this change very
>> easy to do.
>
> I did review this and wasn't sure exactly what I would describe.  It is
> saying huge pages will now work on some versions of Windows 10 but
> didn't before?

Windows 10 has always used a forced automated rolling upgrade process,
so there are not many versions older than 1703, I suppose.  I don't
know if large pages were working before 1703 where
FILE_MAP_LARGE_PAGES has been introduced, and I have never been able
to test that.  Honestly, I don't think that we need to be picky about
the version mentioned, as per the forced upgrade process done by
Microsoft.

So, my preference would be to keep it simple and add an item like "Fix
huge pages on Windows 10 and newer versions", with as potential
subnote "The backend sets a flag named FILE_MAP_LARGE_PAGES to allow
huge pages", though this is not really mandatory to go down to this
level of internals, either.
--
Michael

Вложения