Re: warn if GUC set to an invalid shared library

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: warn if GUC set to an invalid shared library
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 03:02:23PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I agree with Maciek's concerns about these HINTs being emitted
> inappropriately, but I also have a stylistic gripe: they're only
> halfway hints.  Given that we fix things so they only print when they
> should, the complaint about the server not starting is not a hint,
> it's a fact, which per style guidelines means it should be errdetail.
> So I think this ought to look more like
>
> WARNING:  could not access file "xyz"
> DETAIL:  The server will fail to start with this setting.
> HINT:  If the server is shut down, it will be necessary to manually edit the
> postgresql.auto.conf file to allow it to start again.
>
> I adjusted the wording a bit too --- YMMV, but I think my text is clearer.

It seems to me that there is no objection to the proposed patch, but
an update is required.  Justin?
--
Michael

Вложения

От: Mark Dilger
Сообщение: Re: Modest proposal to extend TableAM API for controlling cluster commands
Сообщение: Re: Modest proposal to extend TableAM API for controlling cluster commands