Re: XTS cipher mode for cluster file encryption

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: XTS cipher mode for cluster file encryption
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 08:37:31AM +0100, Antonin Houska wrote:
> The changes to buffile.c are not trivial, but we haven't really changed the
> API, as long as you mean BufFileCreateTemp(), BufFileWrite(), BufFileRead().
>
> What our patch affects on the caller side is that BufFileOpenTransient(),
> BufFileCloseTransient(), BufFileWriteTransient() and BufFileReadTransient()
> replace OpenTransientFile(), CloseTransientFile(), write()/fwrite() and
> read()/fread() respectively in reorderbuffer.c and in pgstat.c. These changes
> become a little bit less invasive in TDE 1.1 than they were in 1.0, see [1],
> see the diffs attached.

With pg_upgrade modified to preserve the relfilenode, tablespace oid, and
database oid, we are now closer to implementing cluster file encryption
using XTS.  I think we have a few steps left:

1.  modify temporary file I/O to use a more centralized API
2.  modify the existing cluster file encryption patch to use XTS with a
    IV that uses more than the LSN
3.  add XTS regression test code like CTR
4.  create WAL encryption code using CTR

If we can do #1 in PG 15 I think I can have #2 ready for PG 16 in July.
The feature wiki page is:

    https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Transparent_Data_Encryption

Do people want to advance this feature forward?