Re: pg_upgrade verbosity when redirecting output to log file

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_upgrade verbosity when redirecting output to log file
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jan  9, 2022 at 10:39:58PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2022-01-10 01:14:32 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> writes:
> > Fun!  That seems to me to be a strong argument for not letting
> > the behavior vary depending on isatty().
>
> Yea.
>

> > I think I'd vote for just nuking that output altogether.
> > It seems of very dubious value.
>
> It seems worthwhile in some form - on large cluster in copy mode, the "Copying
> user relation files" step can take *quite* a while, and even link/clone mode
> aren't fast. But perhaps what'd be really needed is something counting up
> actual progress in percentage of files and/or space...
>
> I think just coupling it to verbose mode makes the most sense, for now?

All of this logging is from the stage where I was excited pg_upgrade
worked, and I wanted to give clear output if it failed in some way ---
printing the file names seems like an easy solution.  I agree at this
point that logging should be reduced, and if they want more logging, the
verbose option is the right way to get it.