Re: can we add some file(msvc) to gitignore

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: can we add some file(msvc) to gitignore
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 12:18:01PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> As postgres isn't mandating a specific IDE or dev environment, we typically
> don't add these files to the .gitignore we ship.  If we did it would be an
> enormous list we'd have to curate and maintain.  Instead, everyone hacking on
> postgres can add these to their local gitignore with the core.excludesfile Git
> config.

Yeah.  This is an issue for many things.  For example, under emacs or
vim, we'd still track backup files for unsaved changes.

> Now, it is true that there are some MSVC specific files in the .gitignore
> already, but past discussion on this have leaned towards removing those (which
> I personally support) rather than adding new ones.

Agreed.  I don't think that we should remove the entries that track
files we could expect based on the state of the build code, though,
like config.pl or buildenv.pl in src/tools/msvc/ as committing those
could silently break builds.
--
Michael

Вложения