Re: RFD: comp.databases.postgresql.*

От Woodchuck Bill
Тема Re: RFD: comp.databases.postgresql.*
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Patrick May <pjm@spe.com> wrote in
news:m2r7mk24uv.fsf@gulch.intamission.com:

>      Interesting.  Does this affect anyone's views on the group name
> (yes, I'm looking at you, Ms. Morgan) or is the feeling that existing
> users wouldn't switch to a new name, even if it were archived by
> Google?

If they were to start their own hierarchy postgresql.*, they could keep all
21 of the groups, all of the groups would be available upon request to news
servers around the world, Google would pick them up again in a heartbeat,
they would not need to pass a vote, and PostgreSQL would have even more
prestige by having a dedicated net news hierarchy.

Even if they were to be moved to alt.comp.*, they would be legitimate and
available by request, no vote required, back in Google, and they could keep
all 21 of the groups. But no, our defiant list owner prefers to be stubborn
and keep things the way they are, which has already resulted in
fragmentation of his rogue hierarchy as Google has dropped them, and other
servers will probably follow now that the rogue nature of these groups is
being more publicized due to this RFD.

Something to think about, Marc.

--
Bill