Re: tsvector limitations

От Mark Johnson
Тема Re: tsvector limitations
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

When this discussion first started, I immediately thought about people who full text index their server's log files.  As a test I copied /var/log/messages to $PGDATA and then used the same pg_read_file() function you mentioned earlier to pull the data into a column of type text.  The original file was 4.3 MB, and the db column had length 4334920 and the function pg_column_size reported a size of 1058747.  I  then added a column named tsv of type tsvector, and populated it using to_tsvector().  The function pg_column_size reported 201557.  So in this test a 4.2 MB text file produced a tsvector of size 200 KB.  If this scales linearly, then the max size of an input document would be 21.8 MB before you hit the tsvector limit of 1 MB.  If you run a "find" command on your server for files larger than 20 MB, the percent is quite small maybe 1% of files.  In the specific case of indexing postgresql's log files, you could use parameter log_rotation_size to ensure all files are smaller than N and avoid the tsvector limits.
-Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Grittner [mailto:Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:39 PM
To: 'Tim', pgsql-admin@postgresql.org, 'Greg Williamson'
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] tsvector limitations

Greg Williamson wrote: > Try trolling texts at the Internet Archive (archive.org) -- lots > of stuff that has been rendered into ASCII ... Government > documents and the like from all periods; novels and the like that > are no longer under copyright, so lots of long classics. > > > > for example ... 765K Thanks. OK, for perspactive, A Tale of Two Cities has a tsvector size of 121KB. -Kevin -- Sent via pgsql-admin mailing list (pgsql-admin@postgresql.org) To make changes to your subscription: http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-admin