Re: PostgresSQL 10 | Driver 42.2.5 | Float Conversion Issue

От Andreas Joseph Krogh
Тема Re: PostgresSQL 10 | Driver 42.2.5 | Float Conversion Issue
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
På tirsdag 20. oktober 2020 kl. 21:30:47, skrev David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>:
On Tuesday, October 20, 2020, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas@visena.com> wrote:
På tirsdag 20. oktober 2020 kl. 20:59:45, skrev David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>:
On Tuesday, October 20, 2020, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas@visena.com> wrote:
there should, IMO, be a big fat warning "Don't use the float datatype, at all" somewhere.

 Chapter 8.1

David J.

Many, at least non-programmers, expect computers to act like calculators when it comes to numbers and arithmetic operations, and I can't blame them.

Our target audience here is programmers so while I agree with the observation I don’t see its relevance.  Programming computers and using numbers means at some point you need to be at least aware of floating point dynamics and choose appropriate data types.

Well, many DB-users are not programmers, and I think that will still be the case many years from now.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: PostgresSQL 10 | Driver 42.2.5 | Float Conversion Issue
Сообщение: Re: PostgresSQL 10 | Driver 42.2.5 | Float Conversion Issue