Re: FDW handling count(*) through AnalyzeForeignTable or other constant time push-down

От Gabe F. Rudy
Тема Re: FDW handling count(*) through AnalyzeForeignTable or other constant time push-down
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Ok, I get that.

Really what I am *rooting* for is Aggregate (and Sort By) Push-Down to FDW plugins.

I can already internalize conditional filters for most cases, and doing a count on the filtered results would be
considerablyfaster in my FDW back-end before all the records and Datums have to be constructed for postgres to do the
counting.

Similarly, I'm very excited about the potential for FDW to advertise a-priori sort states, so things like external
merge-sortscan pass-through the request for sorted data for fields in which sorting is a no-op in my backend.

Importantly my IDs are sorted by definition since they are essentially array indexes into the column-store, so joining
onthem with merge-sort should be blazing fast, but currently time is wasted sorting these pre-sorted fields.

Just my 2c, and I'll be tracking the 9.6 progress that includes some of these proposals.

Gabe