RE: Bucardo, BDR , pglogical

От Alvaro Aguayo
Тема RE: Bucardo, BDR , pglogical
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

Hi.

Until a few months ago, I was using BDR for a large database (> 600Gb). Worked pretty well. At the beginning hand some problems with large transactions, but solved them by adapting the program to use smaller transactions; never knew if it was a Postgres problem, a BDR problem, or if it was solved or is still causing trouble somewhere. Decided to stop using it because the release was old, it forced me to stay on PG9.4 and the newer releases were not free software, but commercial.

pglogical is based on the same technology as BDR, but it’s only master-slave. You might find some information about pglogical “multi-master” mode, but it’s just a way to make many masters converge into a single slave.

Never tried Bucardo, but, as far as I know, it’s trigger based, so I would not recommend it for nothing more than testing or small systems, as trigger-based replicators suffer from amplification and thus poor performance on high transaction concurrency.

If you are willing to pay, BDR is probably the better option. If not, you can always change your application to fit a different architecture. You can also consider some PostgreSQL-as-a-service such as the ones offered by Azure, AWS, or GPC, all of them offering high availability.

Regards,

Alvaro Aguayo

Operations Manager

Jr. Prolongación Ayacucho 177 Urb. Santa Eulalia - San Miguel

Telf. (+51-1) 680-5726