perl package problem, upgrading from 7.2.2 to 7.3.2, RH 8

От Emilio Mayorga
Тема perl package problem, upgrading from 7.2.2 to 7.3.2, RH 8
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I am very new to PostgreSQL, so I apologize if this problem has an easy
solution (I did a mail search and coudn't find leads).

I have RedHat 8, originally installed with psql 7.2.2 from the default RH
installation. I've been using it successfully for 2-3 weeks. I am trying
to upgrade to 7.3.2 using rpm's. I am installing all the packages except
"test", just to match the current configuration of my system. I noticed
that the name of the perl postgresql package has changed -- it used to say
postgresql-perl and now it says postgresql-pl.  Anyways, I backed up with
pg_dumpall and stopped the postmaster. Then I tried:

rpm -Uvh *.rpm

But got this message:
Preparing...                ############################ [100%]
        file /usr/lib/pgsql/plperl.so from install of
postgresql-pl-7.3.2-1PGDG conflicts with file from package
postgresql-perl-7.2.2-1

I figured it had to do with that changed perl package name. So I
uninstalled the 7.2.2 perl package (and contrib, b/c it depends on perl):
rpm -ev postgresql-contrib-7.2.2-1
rpm -ev postgresql-perl-7.2.2-1
Then I tried again to upgrade the postgresql packages, but got:
error: Failed dependencies:
        perl(Pg) is needed by postgresql-contrib-7.3.2-1PGDG
    Suggested resolutions:
        postgresql-perl-7.2.2-1.i386.rpm

So next I set aside the contrib package, and tried upgrading everything
else. That worked! All the packages were upgraded without an error (I
haven't tried to restart the postmaster yet). When I try installing
contrib, I get the same failed dependencies error.

Should I ignore dependencies and force the package upgrade?? I don't know
what to do here. Any help you can provide would be very
appreciated! BTW, my system has Perl 5.8.0.

Thanks!

Emilio Mayorga
University of Washington
School of Oceanography