Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] Testing Postgresql v6.3

От Maarten Boekhold
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] Testing Postgresql v6.3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 9 Mar 1998 Matt@dutepp2.et.tudelft.nl wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> Could we not just create a symbolic link from libpq.so -> Current version.
> Then only those who need to use
> a different version from the default would have to make any changes.
>
> Matt
>

> > At 15:17 -0000 on 5/3/98, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >

> > >     You should technically be able to run it on a different port,
> > > *but* you might have problems with the shared libraries, where trying
> to > > run v6.3 is seeing v6.1's shared libraries, and won't work...
> >
> > May I make a suggestion? In future versions, include the version number
> in > the names of the libraries.
>
> Then everyone has to update all their Makefiles after an upgrade.

How about setting a so-name? I don't know much about libraries, but AFAIK
you can at least give dyn. libs a so-name, ie. libtermcap.so.2.0.8, where
2.0.8 is the so-name (2 is major, and there are some minor numbers etc.).
libraries with the same major so-number are binary compatible (ie. don't
require a relink of your programs).

There got to be some ppl around here that know more about this stuff then
I do....

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |