Re: [GENERAL] How to increment by hand a sequence number.

От Dustin Sallings
Тема Re: [GENERAL] How to increment by hand a sequence number.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Valerio Santinelli wrote:

    select max(id) from table;

    will get you the max value, then you want to add one to that
number, and do this:

    select setval('sequence_name', newvalue);

# I've exported a table from an existing MSAccess database to my
# PostgreSQL db.
# I use a serial ID on the table and now I'm getting errors when I add a
# new entry in the table if i don't specify the ID by hand (which should
# be placed automatically by the db  since it's a serial).
#
# The exact error is this one:
#
#     Cannot insert a duplicate key into a unique index.
#
#
# I think I should set the "last_value" field in the sequence to my real
# last value aon the ID field of the table, but Idon't know how to do it.
# Is there anybody who can help me ?
#
# Thanks
#
# Valerio Santinelli
# tanis@mediacom.it
#
#
#
#

--
SA, beyond.com           My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>