Re: Indexes on Large Tables

От Curt Sampson
Тема Re: Indexes on Large Tables
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Donny Drummonds wrote:

> If I do not index the column from the where clause the query returns
> the 150,000 rows in 4 and a half minutes. If in do index the column
> from the where clause using a btree the 150,000 rows return in 11 and
> a half minutes.

Well, I'm not sure if this is the insight you're looking for, but....

The reason it takes longer if you use an index is that you change
from sequential I/O (which is relatively fast) to random I/O (which
is relatively slow). With the table scan (reading the entire table in
whatever order it's in on the disk) you're reading several times as much
data, but you're not doing head seeks all over the place to move the
head to the place where the next bit of data to be read is.

Obviously, in this case, even though an index was available, the planner
was wrong to chose to use it rather than just read the entire table.
That is, as someone else mentioned, likely due to bad statistics: the
planner thought you were going to select a very small part of the table,
rather than ten percent of it (which is a pretty large fraction, for
these purposes). Try doing an ANALYZE.

cjs