Re: postgres installation - best configuration?

От Curt Sampson
Тема Re: postgres installation - best configuration?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, David Kennedy wrote:

> This weekend I will be building a couple of new postgres database servers
> under RH7.3, and I am currently deciding between 2 different configuration
> options. The new servers feature hot-swappable RAID w/ 3 hard drives in
> each.

It depends on what you need in terms of reliability and performance.

Best performance (assuming non-insignifcant write load):
   Put the OS and DB on the first two drives, striped (RAID0), and the   logs on the third drive.

Best safety maximum capacity:
   Put everything on a single RAID5 across all three drives. (RAID5 on   three drives is likely to be significantly
slowerthan a single disk   or mirrored pair would be, though.)

Best safety with good performance:
   Mirror two drives (RAID1) and put everything on the pair. Use the   third drive as a hot spare for the mirrored
pair.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org   Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're