Re: Why is MySQL more chosen over PostgreSQL?

От Curt Sampson
Тема Re: Why is MySQL more chosen over PostgreSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 30 Jul 2002, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 14:51, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
>
> > Bruce Momjian:
> > > It causes too much complexity in other parts of the system.
> >
> > That's one reason.
>
> Seems like somewhat valid reason. But still not enough to do a lot of
> work _and_ annoy a lot of existing users :)

It's almost unquestionably more work to maintain than to drop. Dropping
support for it is a one-time operation. Maintaining it is an ongoing
expense.

> That's quite bogus imho. You could just as well argue that there is
> nothing that relational model handles that can't be done in pure C.

That's a straw man argument. What we (or I, anyway) are arguing is that
the relational model does everything that table inheritance does, and at
least as easily. Extending the model adds complexity without adding the
ability to do things you couldn't easily do before. (This, IMHO, makes
table inheritance quite inelegant.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org   Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're