Re: Controlling performance impact of multiple users

От Curt Sampson
Тема Re: Controlling performance impact of multiple users
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, John Moore wrote:

> The issue is how to prevent users from hogging the system, and especially
> from slowing down the on-line users.

Mixing OLTP and OLAP on one database server has never seemed like a good
idea to me. Part of the problem with the idea of resource limitation is
that if someone, say, starts a large update where it becomes apparent
that this is going to use too many resources only part-way into it,
you're kind of stuck. You have to either see it though, or pay the cost
of the rollback, which may be just as expensive by that point.

Thus, I recommend somehow replicating the data from the OLTP server
to another server for the OLAP folks.

cjs