Re: Linux max on shared buffers?

От Curt Sampson
Тема Re: Linux max on shared buffers?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> Hmm, what about OS's that swap shared memory to disk. Wouldn't that change
> things somewhat?

It just makes things worse. Paging a buffer to disk does the I/O you
were trying not to do.

> Probably more in favour of giving more memory to the OS.

Yup.

> The other possibility would be to use mmap instead. That way you avoid the
> double buffering altogether. Do you have any ideas about that?

On this page

    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-06/threads.php

there's a thread about "Buffer management", and I have some posts to that
about using mmap. Unfortunately, I can't point out the exact posts, because
the php that's generating these pages is probably missing an end table
tag, and so the pages render as completely blank on Linux Netscape 4.78.

cjs