Re: COPY support in pgsql-jdbc driver

От Michael Adler
Тема Re: COPY support in pgsql-jdbc driver
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Thanks for your response Barry. I've been working on this as time allows.
I am determined to get it eventually.

> 6) Some debugging output would probably be usefull as well, (see current
> sources and the isDebug method and how it is used).

I can't find that method anywhere in the current CVS source. Can you help
me out?

> 7) The testcase should be done using junit and added to the tests under
> org/postgresql/test

I'd like to get this done immediately, but I'm having some trouble with
the tests.

test:
    [junit] ..............F......................F.....
    [junit] ............
    [junit] Time: 4.897
    [junit] There were 2 failures:
    [junit] 1) testCapabilities(org.postgresql.test.jdbc2.DatabaseMetaDataTest)junit.framework.AssertionFailedError
    [junit]     at org.postgresql.test.jdbc2.DatabaseMetaDataTest.testCapabilities(DatabaseMetaDataTest.java:104)
    [junit] 2) testSetTimestamp(org.postgresql.test.jdbc2.TimestampTest)junit.framework.AssertionFailedError
    [junit]     at org.postgresql.test.jdbc2.TimestampTest.timestampTest(TimestampTest.java:120)
    [junit]     at org.postgresql.test.jdbc2.TimestampTest.testSetTimestamp(TimestampTest.java:92)

    [junit] FAILURES!!!
    [junit] Tests run: 53,  Failures: 2,  Errors: 0

DatabaseMetaDataTest.java:104
                        assertTrue(!dbmd.supportsANSI92EntryLevelSQL());

TimestampTest.java:120
                assertTrue(rs.next());
                t = rs.getTimestamp(1);
                assertNotNull(t);
                assertTrue(t.equals(getTimestamp(1950, 2, 7, 15, 0, 0, 0)));

> 8) Need to decide how to handle character set conversions, since you are
> not currently doing any character set conversions for either the input
> or output.

I agree that these methods should support conversion with options to disable
conversion if it turns out to be taxing.

> Reading one byte at a time from the stream will be slow, that is why it
> would be better to read into a buffer.

Are you suggesting that I create a BufferedInputStream inside the method? I was
planning on optimizing after the code and tests had become reliable enough to
take benchmarks.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Mike