Re: [HACKERS] Disk block size issues.

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Disk block size issues.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Other stuff...
> >
> > Could the block size be made into a command line option, like "-k 8192"?
>
> Too scary for me.

    I kinda like this one...if it can be relatively implimented.  The main
reason I like it is that, like -B and -S, it means that someone could deal
with "tweaking" a system without having to recompile from scratch...

    That said, I'd much rather that -k option being something that is
an option only available when *creating* the database (ie. initdb) with a
pg_blocksize file being created and checked when postmaster starts up.

    Essentially, make '-k 8192' an option only available to the postgres
process, not the postmaster process.  And not settable by the -O option to
postmaster...

> Yes, we could do that, but if they ever start the postmaster with a
> different value, he is lost.

    See above...it should only be something that is settable at initdb time,
not accessible via 'postmaster' itself...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org