Re: Problems Restarting PostgreSQL Daemon

От Rich Shepard
Тема Re: Problems Restarting PostgreSQL Daemon
Дата
Re: Problems Restarting PostgreSQL Daemon  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Tom Lane wrote:

> The short answer is probably "don't use Slackware's startup script". Some
> distros have PG start scripts that have had the bugs beaten out of them,
> and others not so much.

   Excellent advice, Tom. I'll take it.

> Have you read the script to see what condition causes it to issue the
> mentioned error?  I'd imagine that it's looking at some other lockfile
> than you think.

   I tried following the logic, and it appears the issue now is 'invalid data
in PID file "/var/lib/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid" '. If I delete that file,
is it automatically recreated? I'm using /usr/bin/pg_ctl as user postgres.

Thanks,

Rich